Monday, June 10, 2013

Looking Good While You're Racing






Okay, we have all had our fair shares of horrible race pictures. In fact, it has come to the point where I'm not even shocked with how badly they turn out.


Pics go badly even before races begin

A few common questions that usually go through my head:


-I really look like that when I run?
-Why is my helmet always crooked?
-Is that really how tight my tri clothes are?
-Is that fat or muscle?
-What's that running down my leg? Oh wait, never mind... (NOT a personal experience just one while sifting through race photos :)
 






Two weekends ago was the Rock Hall Triathlon- I would even go to say it is my favorite triathlon race/destination combination. Nestled north of the eastern shore, the town holds all the quaint,calm, small town charm that doesn't pressure you to check your smartphone every 10 minutes. This is my third straight year racing it (since it's inception!) and last year I had my first and only sub 3 hour Olympic finish.


Camping out last year. My tent and I won as last ones standing!

I checked my race photos at the end of last week and HEY! about 3 out of 20 of them actually turned out ok. How did this happen? Here are my thoughts:

1. Have some jager bombs the night before- it really brings out the color in your skin! It has become a tradition to do one, two, or more jager bombs before this race. They are only $3 and you can have them on an outdoor patio overlooking the bay!


Jager #2

2. Make a fashion statement with your race belt. If you pull down your tri top and get a nice fitted race belt it will prevent your stomach rolls from falling out. Wear it low around your hips to make your torso look long and lean! Gentleman: this will also solve your battle of the bulge problem if you have your race number nicely positioned. Maybe one day we will create glitter/studded race belts for added bling.


Pulling your belt over your shirt helps it stay and keeps you lookin' slim!


3. Run next to someone (who is not an elite athlete!). If both people look awful the ugliness of the picture kind of gets split between the two of you, and you really only look half bad (or is it half good?)

Half good or half bad? PS What's he smiling about?


4.  NEON GREEN SUNGLASSES! If I had a nickel for every time someone complemented my neon green sunglasses, I'd have enough for a (5k) local race entry. Aside from my bike, I'm a minimalist when it comes to tri equipment. I really just needed something to keep bugs out of my eyes. I bought these $14 sunglasses on a whim at a fashion boutique. They have lasted for well over a year, multiple training rides/runs, and several races. It keeps people from seeing your tired, tired eyes from squinting in the sun and masks about 90% of your unhappiness at the moment. Pair these with a little smile and you're good to go for a fabulous race photo shoot! These are from the original store I bought them from (they are out of green) but the white ones are on sale for $6.98! Here is a green version I found similar to it. Go get some of your own!

Versatile (and styling!) on the bike and the run!

Rock Hall this year was another great race. I didn't beat my time from last year. Although it was a little hot, it was overall a "good race" for me at 3:03:07 (my second best Olympic time!). Hopefully my 1.5k swim time of 37:00 minutes will improve soon- I will be starting swim lessons this week! Stay tuned and wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment