Tuesday, April 30, 2013

We Run DC: Training Tips for Running Your Second Best Half

This past Sunday was the (inaugural) Nike Women's Half Marathon DC. I ran the race 6 weeks post marathon and 36 hours post the biggest fundraiser of my life (more on that on a later post!)

But I run more... and faster (sometimes)...


I honestly had no idea how would it go- using my marathon as my last "training run" I was okay going into it with the idea that I may walk some of it. I started the day with two my of my best running gals, perfect for a race overloaded with a little too much estrogen. The course was great for tourists; passing the monuments, running on the Arlington Memorial Bridge, and finishing by the Capital. I finished with a time of 2:07:54, just 1.5 minutes slower than my best half marathon.

Nike Women's Course Map


To be honest, I was very shocked and in somewhat disbelief. I definitely felt like a slug the whole time, with one of my running pals Jojo taking off somewhere in Hains Point. My remaining friend Beth and I barely talked for the rest of the race- we (I?) were both struggling.

So how was I able to pull this off? A year ago I made my best time for a half but really worked hard for it: track workouts, hill workouts, long runs, you name it. I busted my butt and after failing to break the 2:10 mark due to cramping issues, I tried again a month later and ran a 2:06:27. Here are some tips that I think could help you improve your time in the future and run a decent race without having to put too much into it. (This is not at all advice to not properly train! Just little things you can do along the way...)

1. Get stronger. Go to boot camps and strength training. I noticed when it came to my last marathon, the only reason I was able to eek out the final miles and pass people after 20+ was because of my strength. My muscles stayed strong and were able to get me to the finish.

2. Stretch your muscles. I started attending yoga class once a week since last December. I noticed an increase in my flexibility, decrease in cramping, and better overall balance.

3. Find good running friends. Running friends make things less boring (if you run at a good pace it's just catching up!) and no one wants to be left behind or have to slow down.

4. Pick a good race you're excited for. Who wouldn't want a Tiffany's necklace presented on a silver platter by a man in a tux?



Real Tiffany's necklace inside!

My best running pals and our #1 supporter Grahambo

No comments:

Post a Comment